The Venice Heritage Museum is an opportunity for locals and tourists alike to experience more than a century's worth of stories, collections, and archives from one of our country’s most culturally rich and innovative communities—Abbot Kinney’s Venice-of-America.
Our mission is to create an inclusive museum that preserves, showcases, and nurtures Venice’s historical legacy. We aim to establish a public campus that enriches the lives of current and future generations of Venetians and visitors through exhibitions, events, and activities hosted onsite, improving the present with the past.
SINCE OUR FOUNDING, THE VENICE HERITAGE FOUNDATION BOARD HAS BEEN AN ACTIVE PRESENCE IN THE LOCAL COMMUNITY—HERE ARE A FEW OF OUR MEMBERS’ CONTRIBUTIONS:
- Abbot Kinney Festival — we’ve presented several booths at the annual festival featuring a photo funnies backdrop & vintage postcards for sale
- Abbot Kinney’s Birthday Celebration — hosted a party in partnership with Hama Sushi to celebrate our founder’s birthday.
- “A History of Venice” — produced a month-long exhibition at Beyond Baroque in collaboration with the Venice Institute of Contemporary Art. The People/Place/Art/Word/Sound Exhibition showcased installations that highlighted the diverse and influential histories of Venice through the eyes of its residents
- Gopher Scramble — a yearly Caddyshack/The Big Lebowski-themed fundraiser on behalf of the museum project in partnership with our local treasure, Penmar By The Sea Golf Course
- USC Archives Bazaar — we present a table year-over-year at the premier gathering for historical associations in Southern California
- Venice Community Calendar — founding Board members produce an annual calendar honoring elements of Venice history and culture. Recent years have covered the Black History of Venice, Tongva History, and much more!
- Venice Grand Prix Centennial — hosted a celebratory night of storytelling at the Del Monte Speakeasy in honor of the 100th anniversary of the famous car race won by notorious driver, Barney Oldfield
- Venice Heritage archival image library — lending vintage ambience to local institutions such as The Townhouse, Hama Sushi, Hoagies, and others
- Venice High School Alumni Association — sponsoring the annual Jackets of Excellence program for students
- Venice Mardi Gras — we have helped resurrect a favorite festival of the 1930s-1940s era brought here by the original African-American families who settled in Venice, bringing their traditions from the Louisiana bayou
- Venice Neptune Festival — helping bring another Venice tradition back to life, heralding the beginning of Summer!